Anthemis technologies offers you the most suitable wireless communication solution for your connected object.
LTE: Long Term Evolution
Extension of 4G standards, the “Long Term Evolution” standard, is gradually gaining momentum. With the generalization of connected objects and machine to machine (M2M), devices are able to transmit information and data and communicate with each other.
Chosen by nine of the largest operators in the world such as AT&T, Verizon and Orange to name a few, LTE-M is on the rise and is gradually starting to be preferred by more and more players. .
This technology is particularly suited to the diversification and massification of these connected objects. LTE is a versatile communication capable of connecting a wide variety of devices for many applications. In addition, LTE has the advantage of coexisting with existing networks and does not require the purchase of new compatible modems.
Examples of objects using LTE communication
- Smart electricity meters.
- Vending machines.
- GPS beacons.
- E-health equipment.
The advantages of LTE communication
- Easy to deploy
- Low power consumption.
- High and guaranteed coverage inside buildings.
- Interfacing with external sensors
- Possibility of mobility of objects
LoRa / LoRaWAN
LoRaWAN is a telecommunications protocol allowing low-speed communication by radio. The LoRaWAN protocol makes it possible to connect sensors or objects requiring a long battery life (counted in years), in a volume (size of a box of matches or a pack of cigarettes) and at a reduced cost.
LoRa (Long Range) is a long-range communication dedicated to M2M communications and developed by the Grenoble-based firm Cycleo (Semtech Group). This communication guarantees a strong immunity to interference, is very sensitive in reception, is ultra low consumption and of course is long range. Ideal communication between connected objects.
Examples of objects using LoRa communication
- Smart City.
- Industrial monitoring.
The advantages of LoRa communication
- The power of the LoRa alliance.
- Multi operators or private network.
- Precise geolocation.
- Low consumption.
The disadvantages of LTE communication
- Mono Source SEMTECH
- Indoor penetration.
- Need for a LoraWan server.
- Weak data sending.
Do you have a Connected Object project?
The IoT requires dedicated networks so as not to saturate those used by computers and smartphones. Among the companies offering alternative solutions, SigFox is one of the most influential companies in the M2M world.
Sigfox specializes in M2M via low speed networks. It contributes to the Internet of Things by enabling interconnection through a gateway. Its UNB (“Ultra narrow band”) radio technology enables it to build a low-speed, energy-efficient cellular network. This type of network is deployed in certain ISM frequency bands, available worldwide without a license.
Examples of objects using Sigfox communication
- Control of billboards
- Home automation (Alarm, fire detector, gas …).
- Industrial monitoring.
The advantages of Sigfox communication
- Network coverage.
- Network reliability.
- Two-way communication.
- Low consumption.
- Low cost.
The disadvantages of Sigfox communication:
- Weak data sending.
Bluetooth is a wireless technology known to everyone. It has been around for many years and had its first successes with Bluetooth headsets. In recent years, Bluetooth (BLE) has become widely used again with the advent of connected objects. If at the beginning, we were limited to connected bracelets, watches quickly appeared with new bandwidth needs, but also in terms of autonomy. The standard has therefore gradually adapted to new uses.
Wi-Fi and Bluetooth use the same frequency band, that of 2.4 GHz. The similarity ends there since BLE and Wi-Fi each have their own areas of use. Wi-Fi is much more efficient, but requires more energy and is more complex and therefore more expensive. On the contrary, BLE uses lower bandwidth and is more for sending light data.
The advantages of Bluetooth communication
- Low Price.
- Crossing the walls.
- Standardized Protocol.
- No interference.
The disadvantages of Bluetooth communication
- Range (30m max.).
- Security (data transmitted by radio waves).
- Transfer rate.
Wi-Fi is a set of wireless communication protocols. A WiFi network allows several computer devices (computer, router, smartphone, Internet modem, etc.) to be connected by radio waves within a computer network in order to allow data transmission between them.
The range can reach several tens of meters indoors (generally between twenty and fifty meters) if there are no annoying obstacles (concrete wall for example) between the transmitter and the user. Thus, Internet service providers can establish a Wi-Fi network connected to the Internet in an area with a high concentration of users (station, airport, hotel, train, etc.). These areas or access points are called Wi-Fi hotspots or hot spots.
The advantages of WiFi communication
- Mobility: The connection to the wireless network allows you to move around freely within the available radius. You can take your laptop from the meeting room to the workshop without having to plug / unplug anything.
- Ease: A well-configured WiFi network makes it very easy to connect, provided, of course, that you have authorization. You usually only need to be in the coverage area to be connected.
- Flexibility: The flexible installation of WiFi makes it easy to adapt the area of action as needed. If the access point is too low, repeaters are added to extend coverage.
- Cost: Most of the components of the WiFi network (access point, repeaters, antennas, etc.) can be simply installed. The installation can therefore sometimes be done without any tools, which reduces labor costs. The operating budget is similar to a wired network.
The disadvantages of WiFi communication:
- Signal quality and continuity: A well-installed and well-configured WiFi network is generally reliable and of consistent quality. However, sometimes little is enough to disturb the signal: a police radar or a Bluetooth transmitter, for example.
- Security: Because WiFi is a wireless network, it is possible to connect to it without hardware intervention. This means that we must particularly study the security of the network if we want to avoid the presence of spam or the leakage of information.